Thursday, May 5, 2011

on Bill Evans and Jazz nerds

First Listen to this
http://youtu.be/8Fhd689Pwak

Now that was awesome. I hope you didn't spend your time reading comments like i did. This is the reason I will never be truly happy. Here I am in a country like Afghanistan with the ability to listen to something like this and instead of appreciating it, my adhd addled brain of a 3 year old thinks "OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH COMMENTS!!!!!"

It's sad. It really is. but i want to listen to this comment.

@theorygeek00, there is a lot more to soloing than just arpeggios.
I think your advice of ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS using arpeggios is VERY BAD advice. It will make your solo's lack variety.
1)"Block chords" will provide a level of depth that can't be matched.
2) Using "Motifs" will provide context.
3) Using right hand "octaves" during a solo will dramatically increase the power of your notes.
Arpeggios are great, but it's a TERRIBLE idea to "ALWAYS, ALWAYS" use them.

Now I don't take issue with any of his opinions. In fact they sound well informed. However Just like i ruined my ability to enjoy this awesome musical awesomeness, theorygeek00 ruined my ability to not write a pointless blog.

Does he understand what youtube even is? I'll bet there are all kind of jazz websites where he and his java sipping friends can argue over #11's and the general audience of that website might give a damn about what that even means!

I love jazz and used to play it nonstop and since i've gotten into other things I figured out why laypeople don't like jazz. Because of conversations jazz enthusiasts have.

It's like trying to watch an X-men Movie with a comic book guy. Not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment